QML Placces design discussion

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 13:08:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:50:08 +0100, Mark wrote:

>>> I'm just going to assume you're making a joke here.
>>>
>>> In case you're not: bad idea!
>>
>> Do you have arguments to back this bold claim?
>
> Sure. I've opened this topic to improve the pager for default usage:
> - Show it even when you have just one VD to fix my usecase. Which is
> very valid.
>
> That's the intention and that hasn't changed. Apparently most of you
> seem to disagree here. Apparently i'm the only one that dislikes
> having an empty space shown by default..

What your anger hides from you is that we actually mostly agree with
you.

I don't like the idea of having an empty spot by default, that is why I
support the idea of:

- Removing the applet from the default setup
- Changing the applet so that it always show something even if there is
   only one virtual desktop

This means in your situation you would have to add the pager applet
to your panel and it would show one single virtual desktop so you can
drag back your windows from your beamer screen.

Marco raised the valid point of users being potentially confused if
they
increase the number of virtual desktops from Systemsettings and don't
get any way to switch between desktops because the pager applet is not
there. To address this, two suggestions were made:

1. Change the Systemsettings KCM so that if the user increase the
number
of desktops and he has no pager applet, then the KCM notifies him about
it and possibly offers to add the pager applet to the panel.

2. Remove the KCM from Systemsettings: since the KCM is still reachable
from the applet configuration dialog, a user who wants virtual desktops
would first add the pager then configure his desktops from there.
The problem with this suggestion is that there are users like Martin
who
use virtual desktops without any pager applet.

Aurélien