Rethinking global shortcuts

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 13:59:58 UTC 2013

On Thursday 07 February 2013 14:33:47 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> one way around this could be to have the shortcut handling encapsulated in a
> library and kded would be simply be a backup, but kwin would normally take
> the dbus interface over.
I was thinking in the direction of KWin taking the dbus interface when
present, otherwise the kded. Whether kded is actually a good thing I'm not
sure given that it's bound to conflict for applications on different shells.
Don't think that having it in KWin only is the holy grail, nor having it in
the apps, nor in a kded. A standardized spec would actually be the best.

> personally, i'd love to see the "no external process" method as it means
> less IPC, less overhead and fewer context switches.
>
> this would mean work on our part in the kglobalshortcut code in kdelibs for
> frameworks 5 and would imply that we take full maintainership of this area
> of things.
remember that Wayland doesn't allow applications to just listen to key events.
If we design something new (like a framework) it should keep that case in
mind.

--
Martin Gräßlin