Rethinking global shortcuts

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 14:16:37 UTC 2013

On Thursday 07 February 2013 14:41:00 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 07 February 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >From a technical point of view I just want to note that with Wayland
> > >input
> > >
> > > handling moves in the compositor anyway, so we need to work on it either
> > > way. I would prefer to get the global shortcut handling already right
> > > now
> > >
> > > into KWin as we have to fight quite badly with the system (common
>
> examples:
> > if it means moving it out of kded, then the usual objection ensues -> this
> > will not work without kwin, which means to get global shortcuts one will
> > *have* to run kwin.
>
> only thing is (question to Martin):
> can another daemon work at all in wayland?
if KWin feeds it with all key events: yes, but that would kind of break the
complete security model of Wayland.

Also I would not feed all events, as at least inside KWin I would filter them
for internal usage first (no need to do a roundtrip to get back what we
already need and given that we have tricky workarounds already)

--
Martin Gräßlin