naming the next major release

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:52:06 UTC 2013

2013/8/21 Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 21 August 2013 11:29:52 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
>> My 2c,
>>
>> On KDE 4 aka KDE SC 4, plasma was always just plasma,
>> no user says I'm using the plasma shell (as there isn't another
>> KDE option).
> this might change. Consider Razor/LXDE joining the KDE umbrella. What then?
> From one day to another it would be obvious that using "the KDE desktop" is
> not working any more.
In that case what we will end up is with just KDE libraries? I mean
people are used to "install/use KDE" which means the SC.

If we are going to drop the "KDE desktop" then imho it should
be better to put some marketing on the "Plasma desktop"
which uses KDE technology.

The same imho happens to Razor/LXDE, they will keep being
Razor/LXDE maybe using KDE pieces. At some point KDE
might vanish completely as the more things from the
frameworks are upstreamed (not that this is bad!).

This of course end up being completely ok with the new
KDE = comunity branding which to me is a shame that
the shell looses it's identity. I somehow imagine in the
future people talking about plasma people or lxde people
and the KDE name being left only for frameworks.

Of course I'm just supposing.

> I'm in fact aware of at least three desktop shells by the KDE community. The
> only thing those three share is the window manager.
But at some level "the" KDE shell is plasma, and if these others want
to be known
the have to do the promoting themselves.

> Given that we know that we want to open us for more projects and that we want
> to get our technologies into other Qt based desktops, it would be a really bad
> idea to ignore this fact when we do the planning for the next version.

No, I'm not saying to ignore this fact. It's just that imho
the idea of pushing Plasma to version 5 is bad for the
reasons I mentioned. If plasma will keep being included
into KDE SC the SC version is what users see.

An example is that when someone fill a bug against
say print-manager I care which KDE version they have
and not if p-m is at version 0.3, because I know which
version was included in that SC.

Best