naming the next major release

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Aug 21 15:37:04 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 11:29:52 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> My 2c,
>
> On KDE 4 aka KDE SC 4, plasma was always just plasma,
> no user says I'm using the plasma shell (as there isn't another
> KDE option).
this might change. Consider Razor/LXDE joining the KDE umbrella. What then?
>From one day to another it would be obvious that using "the KDE desktop" is
not working any more.

I'm in fact aware of at least three desktop shells by the KDE community. The
only thing those three share is the window manager.

Given that we know that we want to open us for more projects and that we want
to get our technologies into other Qt based desktops, it would be a really bad
idea to ignore this fact when we do the planning for the next version.

> some components happen to have survived since
> KDE 1 (kwin/konqueror maybe?),
Just for the record: both KWin and Konqueror got introduced in KDE (SC) 2. The
oldest to my knowledge still being developed application is KMail.

Cheers
Martin