Plasma Wallpapers in QML

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Sep 17 16:54:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 13 September 2012, Aleix Pol wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> So I was tired of KPeople for today and I've decided to play a bit
>>> with wallpapers.
>>>
>>> What I did was to create a very very simple plugin (~40 sloc) that
>>> lets you easily specify a wallpaper given a QML url. Now it's
>>> hardcoded, and we should find a way to pass it (maybe through the
>>> QVariantList args?) so that a wallpaper is just the desktop file, or
>>> maybe something completely different. :)
>>>
>>> If anybody wants to try it you can fetch it from:
>>> kde:scratch/apol/qmlwallpapers
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> i subscribe to the "cool" first tought ;)
>>
>> it would be of course something completely unrelated with the current
>> Wallpaper plugin, since it's oriented to rendering of images, but the two are
>> complimentary (not sure if allowing both at the same time to run... maybe not
>> ;)
> Well I think there's been too much of a "the other wallpaper" syndrome
> there. It's a bit weird that Plasma::Wallpaper has some API that will
> only be ever used by the images wallpaper, while there are a bunch of
> them more as in: color, virus, weather, mandelbrot, etc.
>
> For plasma2 I guess it could make sense to make it possible to
> implement them all in terms of QML since now it's very much tied to
> QPainter and it will be a bit weird to port.
>>
>> as a simple exapmple to load a Package that is not a plasmoid, you can look at
>> plasma-mobile repo,
>> applications/common/kdeclarativeview.cpp
> I'll look into this and see what I can get.
>

>> as type of package, i would try to either reuse the "wallpaper" type, or
>> adding a "qml-wallpaper" one, so it gets its own install directory prefix, and
>> optional own filesystem structure
>>
>> if it uses the wallpaper type, nothing in the existing configuration have to
>> be touched, as a bonus.
> yes, that's the plan :)
>
> We might want to make the plugin configurable, I'll see what I can do
> in this regard...
>

>> Cheers,
>> Marco Martin

Ok, discussing about it in #plasma was helpful :).

I've ported it to use plasma packages, it's using the Plasma/Generic
type so we might want to restrict a bit the type there, but I'm unsure
about how this works.

In any case, I'll try to get it to list wallpapers before Randa for
discussing the inclusion of it.

Cheers!
Aleix