Plasma Wallpapers in QML

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Sep 17 14:55:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 September 2012, Aleix Pol wrote:
>> Hi,
>> So I was tired of KPeople for today and I've decided to play a bit
>> with wallpapers.
>>
>> What I did was to create a very very simple plugin (~40 sloc) that
>> lets you easily specify a wallpaper given a QML url. Now it's
>> hardcoded, and we should find a way to pass it (maybe through the
>> QVariantList args?) so that a wallpaper is just the desktop file, or
>> maybe something completely different. :)
>>
>> If anybody wants to try it you can fetch it from:
>> kde:scratch/apol/qmlwallpapers
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> i subscribe to the "cool" first tought ;)
>
> it would be of course something completely unrelated with the current
> Wallpaper plugin, since it's oriented to rendering of images, but the two are
> complimentary (not sure if allowing both at the same time to run... maybe not
> ;)
Well I think there's been too much of a "the other wallpaper" syndrome
there. It's a bit weird that Plasma::Wallpaper has some API that will
only be ever used by the images wallpaper, while there are a bunch of
them more as in: color, virus, weather, mandelbrot, etc.

For plasma2 I guess it could make sense to make it possible to
implement them all in terms of QML since now it's very much tied to
QPainter and it will be a bit weird to port.

> as a simple exapmple to load a Package that is not a plasmoid, you can look at
> plasma-mobile repo,
> applications/common/kdeclarativeview.cpp
I'll look into this and see what I can get.

> as type of package, i would try to either reuse the "wallpaper" type, or
> adding a "qml-wallpaper" one, so it gets its own install directory prefix, and
> optional own filesystem structure
>
> if it uses the wallpaper type, nothing in the existing configuration have to
> be touched, as a bonus.
yes, that's the plan :)

We might want to make the plugin configurable, I'll see what I can do
in this regard...