Plasma Wallpapers in QML

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Sep 25 01:21:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

>>> i subscribe to the "cool" first tought ;)
>>>
>>> it would be of course something completely unrelated with the current
>>> Wallpaper plugin, since it's oriented to rendering of images, but the two are
>>> complimentary (not sure if allowing both at the same time to run... maybe not
>>> ;)
>> Well I think there's been too much of a "the other wallpaper" syndrome
>> there. It's a bit weird that Plasma::Wallpaper has some API that will
>> only be ever used by the images wallpaper, while there are a bunch of
>> them more as in: color, virus, weather, mandelbrot, etc.
>>
>> For plasma2 I guess it could make sense to make it possible to
>> implement them all in terms of QML since now it's very much tied to
>> QPainter and it will be a bit weird to port.
>>>
>>> as a simple exapmple to load a Package that is not a plasmoid, you can look at
>>> plasma-mobile repo,
>>> applications/common/kdeclarativeview.cpp
>> I'll look into this and see what I can get.
>>

>>> as type of package, i would try to either reuse the "wallpaper" type, or
>>> adding a "qml-wallpaper" one, so it gets its own install directory prefix, and
>>> optional own filesystem structure
>>>
>>> if it uses the wallpaper type, nothing in the existing configuration have to
>>> be touched, as a bonus.
>> yes, that's the plan :)
>>
>> We might want to make the plugin configurable, I'll see what I can do
>> in this regard...
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Marco Martin
>
> Ok, discussing about it in #plasma was helpful :).
>
> I've ported it to use plasma packages, it's using the Plasma/Generic
> type so we might want to restrict a bit the type there, but I'm unsure
> about how this works.
>
> In any case, I'll try to get it to list wallpapers before Randa for
> discussing the inclusion of it.
>
> Cheers!
> Aleix

Hi!
I've fixed some issues we found today in here (Randa), and now I think
we can consider to put it in kde-workspace so it can be polished for
4.10.

Also it would be interesting if somebody with taste and a good sense
of beauty took a chance with it, so that it can be showcased without
burning your retina.

Good night!
Aleix

PD: if you want to try it: git clone kde:scratch/apol/qmlwallpapers