Plasma Wallpapers in QML

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:19:54 UTC 2012

On Thursday 13 September 2012, Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hi,
> So I was tired of KPeople for today and I've decided to play a bit
> with wallpapers.
>
> What I did was to create a very very simple plugin (~40 sloc) that
> lets you easily specify a wallpaper given a QML url. Now it's
> hardcoded, and we should find a way to pass it (maybe through the
> QVariantList args?) so that a wallpaper is just the desktop file, or
> maybe something completely different. :)
>
> If anybody wants to try it you can fetch it from:
> kde:scratch/apol/qmlwallpapers
>
> Thoughts?

i subscribe to the "cool" first tought ;)

it would be of course something completely unrelated with the current
Wallpaper plugin, since it's oriented to rendering of images, but the two are
complimentary (not sure if allowing both at the same time to run... maybe not
;)

as a simple exapmple to load a Package that is not a plasmoid, you can look at
plasma-mobile repo,
applications/common/kdeclarativeview.cpp

as type of package, i would try to either reuse the "wallpaper" type, or
adding a "qml-wallpaper" one, so it gets its own install directory prefix, and
optional own filesystem structure

if it uses the wallpaper type, nothing in the existing configuration have to
be touched, as a bonus

Cheers,
Marco Martin