Changes to Plasma Weather - Git revision 5a09cd815edd7723800c0ba43a8be9f67d28e011

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Tue Sep 11 06:18:18 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 08:05:50 AM Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Am 11.09.2012 05:29, schrieb Shawn Starr:
> > Hi Luís,
> >
> > I appreciate you making changes to the code, but it would have been
> > nice to
> > been told about this since I am about to replace this with QML
> > porting.
> >
> > Please discuss with me what changes you would like to make as I am in
> > the
> > process of porting to QML for the applet. My goals for '2.0' are
> > different
> > from what you're doing.
> >
> > I would like to revert this out of trunk or discuss this on IRC
> > please.
>
> I personally find this request of your strange. The weather plasmoid
> has been unmaintained for quite some time, so it's a great thing when
> someone starts to work on it.
>
> As already pointed out the changes went through review board and have
> been discussed. Unlike your goals for 2.0 which are so far only in your
> head :-)
>
> So I find it a rather bold statement to ask to revert the change. Maybe
> you could sit together and figure out how a 2.0 should look like, maybe
> it has nothing to do with the change. I prefer having improvements right
> now, than maybe some in the future. Personally I think asking for revert
> of changes does not look like you want to have collaboration happening.
> This is really a sad thing and I would consider it as a problem to kind
> of close down the development of one component for other developers. We
> are an open and free software community which encourages collaboration.

Well, firstly, I'd apprecate if someone would have sent me an email telling me
there was a review, noting this change happened very recently and while I've
been in #Plasma on IRC.  I'd gladly have commented had I known.

Secondly, for '2.0' I want to revamp the layout, give it more a organic
look/feel that QML offers, animations vs just porting it to how it looks now
(assuming thats what this effort is doing)

I was hoping to start working on getting this QMLified as it happend just as
my other job ended I was now able to once again contribute.

Thanks,
Shawn.