Stackfolder inclusion to 4.10 [attempt#2]

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:52:52 UTC 2012

Hey Ural,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Ural Mullabaev
<ural.mullabaev at rosalab.ru>wrote:

> Hi Aaron and Marco!
>
> I fixed the problems which you specified the last time:
> - icon decreasing on the panel (attachment - smallicon.png);
> - empty popup dialog (now it should show correctly)
> And also I changed path to the qml contents to
> <prefix>/plasma/packages/org.kde.stackfolder.
>
> Now what else do I need to do to enter StackFolder in KDE 4.10?
>
> I remind that StackFolder is an independent applet and placed in a
> playground repo (
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/stackfolder).
> Originally StackFolder is a fork of FolderView applet, that was redesigned
> to look like MacOS X Stask utility.  It allow to browse the stack of
> folders and quick access to files and  also may interact with another
> Rosa's utility - Klook to preview a wide range types of files (including
> playing video and audio). For the time being the GUI part of code is
> rewritten on QML. And recently we reworked StackFolder to PopupApplet.
> Now StackFolder has little in common with the FolderView.

I just tried it and I quite like it, nice work! I have few suggestions for
improvements - first of all don't hide and show the popup when you change
folder, I wasn't sure what's happening when I clicked some folder in it, I
thought Dolphin is being opened and then suddenly the same popup but
different size showed up. So keep the popup visible all the time and don't
change the size, keep it to some sane default.

The scrollbar actually work the other way around - dragging it up scrolls
down, dragging down scrolls up. That's inconsistent with the rest of the
whole desktop.

Also there's this project called Homerun which implements exactly this and
it works quite nicely, even with breadcrumb navigation. Maybe you can
contact Aurelien, the author, and share code/collaborate in the
development? Here's the project:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/homerun

Cheers
--