Display Configuration KCM design review

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:33:25 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 02 October 2012, Dan Vrátil wrote:
> > i was about to ask what it was for ;)
> > maybe the primary should just have written "primary" in it
> > the others have a "make primary" below the monitor (not in it since
> > doesn't fit)
> > also, what does the green thick?
>
> When you click the green tick, you disable the output (and it changes into
> a red cross).

what about have two checkboxes in a column, centered in the monitor:
[ ] Primary
[ ] Enabled

the text wouldn't change.

> > * no underline below the resolution
>
> The underline represents physical bottom side of the monitor. When you
> rotate the output 90 degrees clockwise, the "underline" would be on the
> right side.

if you have the arrows like one screenshot you shown, those arrows (being
changed as needed) would always be at the phisical bottom of the screen.

> > * could them be a bit spaced? now they are touching and looks quite
> > cramped
>
> They are "touching" in real world, so they have to be touching here too.
> The positioning of the outputs in the view represent mutual positioning of
> the physical monitors on your table.

hmm, not sure they have to, making them touching or not doesn't add/remove any
semantic information, leaving at least one/two pixels of gap should already
quite make the difference

> > * green rounded rectanlgles doesn't look that good
> >
> > We actually have a Plasma theme element to represent a monitor: it's the
> > one that is still used in the screensaver kcm: it's a framesvg, so it
> > can be resized to any size without looking deformed, would be nice to
> > use that (not sure about the monitor stand, can be tried both with or
> > without. we have a qwidget for it in the kworkspace lib or in qml would
> > be trivial to do.
>
> I'll check that. I'd have to go without the stand as it would make it
> difficult to position outputs above each other. Although without the stand
> it looks more like a tablet then a monitor..:)

well, better that a rectangle :p
anyways, could do that only the monitor below has the stand, the one above not
(in the way they are positioned it would just look that the stand of the above
monitor is hidden by the other one)

Cheers,
Marco Martin