Display Configuration KCM design review

Dan Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 13:12:56 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 02 of October 2012 14:50:01 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 October 2012, Dan Vrátil wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > As some might notice [0], we are working with Alex Fiestas on new display
> > management for KDE. I'm now working on new KCM. Aaron suggested in
> > comments
> > below the blog post that it would be nice to discuss design of the KCM
> > with
> > you, Plasma guys.
>
> I thinks it already looks prettier than the old one ;)
>
> > There are two problems with icons I already know about, but I'm unsure of
> >
> > the what the best step would be:
> > 	1) icons for rotation - should I make special "90 deg clockwise" and "90
> >
> > deg counterclockwise" icons, as shown here [2]?
>
> in [2] those rotation icons look better (i don't think colored icons go so
> well there)
>
> > 	2) icon for primary output - some people did not understand that the
> >
> > bookmark icon represents primary monitor. Is it OK or should I try to find
> > something better (and what do you think would fit best)?
>
> i was about to ask what it was for ;)
> maybe the primary should just have written "primary" in it
> the others have a "make primary" below the monitor (not in it since doesn't
> fit)
> also, what does the green thick?

When you click the green tick, you disable the output (and it changes into a
red cross).

> in general some remarks:
> QWidget area below:
> * It should use a Form layout: recognizable because has the labels aligned
> to the right
> * checkboxes should be aligned with the combobox
> * (here a bit more controversial) instead of checkboxes with text, have text
> on the left, then checkbox

Will do.

> Graphical area (is it in qml?):

Yup, QML

> * there should be as little stuff as possible in the monitors, would remove
> the thickmark if not really necessary

Without the border it looks weird when the monitor are touching (see below).
Someone suggested removing the resolution and the enable/disable switch (see
below too) and having only "rotate" and "primary" buttons and output label...

> * no underline below the resolution

The underline represents physical bottom side of the monitor. When you rotate
the output 90 degrees clockwise, the "underline" would be on the right side.

> * could them be a bit spaced? now they are touching and looks quite cramped

They are "touching" in real world, so they have to be touching here too. The
positioning of the outputs in the view represent mutual positioning of the
physical monitors on your table.

> * green rounded rectanlgles doesn't look that good
>
> We actually have a Plasma theme element to represent a monitor: it's the one
> that is still used in the screensaver kcm: it's a framesvg, so it can be
> resized to any size without looking deformed, would be nice to use that
> (not sure about the monitor stand, can be tried both with or without.
> we have a qwidget for it in the kworkspace lib or in qml would be trivial to
> do.

I'll check that. I'd have to go without the stand as it would make it
difficult to position outputs above each other. Although without the stand it
looks more like a tablet then a monitor..:)

Thanks!

Dan

> Cheers,
> Marco Martin
dvratil at redhat.com | Associate Software Engineer / BaseOS / KDE, Qt
GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348