plasma2 and ToolTipManager

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 17:36:34 UTC 2012

On Monday 01 October 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Monday 01 October 2012 15:34:54 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > sharing OpenGL textures for the windows is an absolute no-go from the
> > > security point of view in Wayland
> >
> > in wayland, isn't the desktop shell also a secured (as in: controlled and
> > identified) process?
> If it gets started by the session control (or the compositor) probably yes.

The desktop shell is always started by the compositor or it won't
be allowed to bind the desktop shell interface.

> But that doesn't mean that I would like to have texture sharing ;-) I just
> wrote that quickly down while reading the mails during work and security is
> for me always the strongest argument.
>
> There are more things which speak against the approach of sharing window
> textures. I do not want to go into detail but I'm strictly against this
> approach and would not add it to KWin due to the way how windows are rendered
> to the screen (note: it's five textures not one). I hope that you trust my
> judgement in that regard that sharing the window texture from KWin is
> extremely difficult, in fact so difficult that I suppose a completely
> different approach which is hardly from trivial either.

KWin would not share the actual texture(s). There is no mechanism that
would allow you to do that even if you wanted to. Instead it would render
the window into a pixmap, and make the pixmap handle known to plasma.
Plasma can then texture directly from the pixmap if it uses OpenGL,
or render it by other means if doesn't.

I don't foresee that this would add much complexity to the thumbnail
effect.

Fredrik