plasma2 and ToolTipManager

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 15:43:09 UTC 2012

On Monday 01 October 2012 15:34:54 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, October 1, 2012 15:15:23 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Am 01.10.2012 14:46, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > > the GL texture would be generated and updated by the window manager
> > > but used b
> > > other applications (e.g.the desktop shell). how to address such
> > > textures is
> > > platform specific (windows, mac, x11, etc) but it is a broadly
> > > available
> > > functionality and one _we_ only need to care about on a very select #
> > > of
> > > platforms.
> >
> > sharing OpenGL textures for the windows is an absolute no-go from the
> > security point of view in Wayland
>
> in wayland, isn't the desktop shell also a secured (as in: controlled and
> identified) process?
If it gets started by the session control (or the compositor) probably yes.

But that doesn't mean that I would like to have texture sharing ;-) I just
wrote that quickly down while reading the mails during work and security is
for me always the strongest argument.

There are more things which speak against the approach of sharing window
textures. I do not want to go into detail but I'm strictly against this
approach and would not add it to KWin due to the way how windows are rendered
to the screen (note: it's five textures not one). I hope that you trust my
judgement in that regard that sharing the window texture from KWin is
extremely difficult, in fact so difficult that I suppose a completely
different approach which is hardly from trivial either.

Cheers
Martin