plasma2 and ToolTipManager

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 18:28:06 UTC 2012

On Monday 01 October 2012 19:36:34 Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> On Monday 01 October 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> > > in wayland, isn't the desktop shell also a secured (as in: controlled
> > > and
> > > identified) process?
> >
> > If it gets started by the session control (or the compositor) probably
> > yes.
>
> The desktop shell is always started by the compositor or it won't
> be allowed to bind the desktop shell interface.
>
> > But that doesn't mean that I would like to have texture sharing ;-) I just
> > wrote that quickly down while reading the mails during work and security
> > is
> > for me always the strongest argument.
> >
> > There are more things which speak against the approach of sharing window
> > textures. I do not want to go into detail but I'm strictly against this
> > approach and would not add it to KWin due to the way how windows are
> > rendered to the screen (note: it's five textures not one). I hope that
> > you trust my judgement in that regard that sharing the window texture
> > from KWin is extremely difficult, in fact so difficult that I suppose a
> > completely different approach which is hardly from trivial either.
>
> KWin would not share the actual texture(s). There is no mechanism that
> would allow you to do that even if you wanted to.
Aaron outlined an idea about shared memory some time back. My understanding
was that it's not about rendering to a pixmap and doing TFP inside plasma.
> Instead it would render
> the window into a pixmap, and make the pixmap handle known to plasma.
> Plasma can then texture directly from the pixmap if it uses OpenGL,
> or render it by other means if doesn't.
>
> I don't foresee that this would add much complexity to the thumbnail
> effect.
yeah that would not be much difference, especially as that is already more or
less available in the screenshot effect. But as said that's not how I
understood it.

Cheers
Martin