The tooltip state. Not that good. Proposal for improvement.

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:28:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 27, 2012 21:15:30 Mark wrote:
> > You perhaps made the mental leap, for met it's still "KDE" without the
> SC.
> > It's just the way people call KDE and that sticks. the SC seems like some
> > expra part that people don't seem to remember.
>
> "SC" is part of the engineering jargon we use: it's the combined release of
> lots of separate modules. we don't use that term in public communication
> ("marketing", etc) and there's a reason for that.
>
> regardless, what i said had nothing at all to do with the SC, but rather
> about
> the technical design of the code base and where the lines of separation
> exist.
>
> for those of us working on the technology, it's really important to
> understand
> the separation between the libraries, workspaces and applications because
> that
> affects the technical decisons we allow ourselves to make.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

This tooltip stuff just got a whole lot more complicated. I asked Martin
(added to cc) for information about the window previews in QML. The reply i
got was very surprising!

------------------
Hi Mark,

window previews can only be done in KWin and not in Plasma. IMHO the
complete
tooltip functionality has to be moved to KWin for exactly that reason. In
fact
I want to do more about it, like rendering unscaled window decorations
around
the preview which have a working close button. These are things only
possible
from inside KWin.

Cheers
------------------

Yeah, he wants to move tooltips to KWin! That certainly is interesting to
say the least and that is kinda blocking what i'm doing right now with the
tooltips.
So how is this going to work if it's in KWin?
How will this be put in a library if the tooltips depend on KWin.. Surely
it's not the intention to let Dolphin depend on KWin for the tooltips?

I would like to continue this tooltip effort and finish it, but i do need
to know where this is going to. Are the window previews "somehow" going to
be posible in QML outside of KWin so that everything stays the same as it
is tight now only with QML? Or is everything going to move to KWin? In the
latte one i really need help getting it there. KWin is complex!

Feedback - lots of it - is certainly helpful now since i just don't know
where tooltips are supposed to be ending up. :)
And getting everyone informed so that we all know who is doing what seems
to be helpful in this situation as well ^_-

Cheers,
Mark