The tooltip state. Not that good. Proposal for improvement.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 29 11:16:29 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:28:20 Mark wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 27, 2012 21:15:30 Mark wrote:
> > > You perhaps made the mental leap, for met it's still "KDE" without the
> >
> > SC.
> >
> > > It's just the way people call KDE and that sticks. the SC seems like
> > > some
> > > expra part that people don't seem to remember.
> >
> > "SC" is part of the engineering jargon we use: it's the combined release
> > of
> > lots of separate modules. we don't use that term in public communication
> > ("marketing", etc) and there's a reason for that.
> >
> > regardless, what i said had nothing at all to do with the SC, but rather
> > about
> > the technical design of the code base and where the lines of separation
> > exist.
> >
> > for those of us working on the technology, it's really important to
> > understand
> > the separation between the libraries, workspaces and applications because
> > that
> > affects the technical decisons we allow ourselves to make.
> >
> > --
> > Aaron J. Seigo
threads. it makes it much more difficult to work together on things.

> Yeah, he wants to move tooltips to KWin!

yes, this is Martin's current set of ideas: move everything to the window
manager.

i disagree and think it is a horrible idea for reasons i've explained
elsewhere.

> So how is this going to work if it's in KWin?
> How will this be put in a library if the tooltips depend on KWin.. Surely
> it's not the intention to let Dolphin depend on KWin for the tooltips?

well, yes, this is one reason what Martin suggested makes no sense. it's also
completely irrelevant to the current task of separating out tooltips, so i
don't think you need to worry about it. we have a working system right now for
window previews. and yes, it relies on a compositer running, but that is a
rutnime dependency ..

for the task of creating a set of sharable tooltip classes, don't worry about
reinventing the window preview code. there will be C++ involved, and that C++
can import an object into the QML that gives access to requesting window
previews at a certain place in the tooltip (e.g. a new QML Item called
WindowPreview that is actually a C++ class which handles all the previewing
goodies; the QML would just create one or more of these WindowPreview objects
and ensure they are placed correctly).

from there, we'll see how nicely the current system works for this (we know
from Plasma Active where we will run into challenges) and then we can start
working on a reasonable solution for them if we need to (the current system
may turn out to be good enough for now for plasma desktop).

and please, keep discussion on the mailing list.