PlasmaCore Dialog maximum width

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:17:12 UTC 2012

On Monday 28 May 2012, Mark wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 28 May 2012, Ionut Colceriu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there a way I could make a PlasmaCore Dialog fullscreen, in QML?
> > > Right now, it seems that the Dialog has a maximum width (screen width
> > > - margins) that I can't get beyond, regardless of the width I set on
> > > the mainItem.
> > >
> > > Also, could you tell me where the margins for it are set? I've tried
> > > removing the shadow-hint-margins from the SVG theme
> > > (/dialogs/background.svgz), with no luck.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > <snip>
> > so in general writing things in qml that requires things like a full
> > screen window is discouraged. if really needed, an element to do that
> > should be implemented in c++ but *not* exported as a plugin.
> >
> > Ehm, why?
>
> You should be able to make desktop applications in QML. Also fullscreen
> ones!
> Specially fullscreen ones!

what has an application to do with the workspace?

> The "Qt Desktop Components" are going to allow that as well. Now i hope you
> mean one should mix Qt Desktop Components together with Plasma Components
> to make a fullscreen desktop application.

ideally, shouldn't be even possible importing the plasma components in a
deskop application, or the desktop components from within the plasma workspace

> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-components/desktop/trees/master/components
>  ApplicationWindow.qml
>
> It might be a lot simpler to provide a Plasma window component...

again, the fact that an element ends up as a window is a completely irrelevant
implementation detail, that may depend from the platform or even from the
version, should be possible for windows becoming elements just on scene and
vice versa, without the code client of that api even noticing.

the moment something on the scene assumes anything being on a different or on
the same view is doing something wrong

--
Marco Martin