HIG standards (from KDE-Frameworks)

Rick Stockton rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
Thu May 17 16:28:49 UTC 2012

This CC, from the KDE-Frameworks ML, seems appropriate for discussion
here (I think). The issue which is brought up is not the framework
itself- but rather, widespread HIG "errors" and
and "inconsistencies" which are written into KDE Applications. We should
IMO, take one of these alternative steps:

(1) Stay "loose" with our own guidelines, and say that they are only
"generally appropriate recommendations" for KDE Applications and
Components; or
(2) start writing Bugs against instances of unnecessary deviation from
KDE's keyboard HIG.

How shall we go? Separately, Mark suggests a re-do of some existing HIG
(at the very bottom).

On 05/16/2012 11:06 AM, Mark wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com
> <mailto:markg85 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Rick Stockton
>     <rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
>     <mailto:rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com>> wrote:
>
>         On Saturday 12 May 2012 18:36:42 Mark wrote:

<< snip >>

>         Here's our online reference for KDE keyboard shortcut HIG:
>         /http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Keyboard_Shortcuts
>
>         Ctrl-M toggles the visibility of the bar /(without selecting
>         it). Some KDE Applications implement this (e.g. Gwenview,
>         Dolphin), but others do not (e.g., KDevelop). None of these 3
>         applications provide "Focus to the Menu Bar" via F10, as
>         documented in our guidelines. Dolphin uses that key to create
>         a new item, and the other two seem to completely ignore the
>         key event.
>
>         I'll recheck the Qt "StandardKey" table and documentation
>         later tonight , maybe scribble some fixes. But it looks like
>         Wikipedia is wrong about "Alt + M" on KDE.
>         BTW, Here are some other references for keyboard shortcuts:
>
>         http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/applehiguidelines/KeyboardShortcuts/KeyboardShortcuts.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002725-SW2
>         <http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/applehiguidelines/KeyboardShortcuts/KeyboardShortcuts.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002725-SW2>
>         http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb545461.aspx
>         http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/input-keyboard.html.en#standard-shortcuts
>
>         />/ While looking at that wiki list i'm quickly realizing that
>         we're never
>         />/ going to get a standard keyboard + mouse mapping for
>         generic keys across
>         />/ all major desktop environments.
>
>         That's because no such conventions exist- yet. We'll be the
>         first to create them. It's possible that the GNOME people will
>         cooporate with us, and share certain values, if we let them
>         know what we came up with. (That would be helpful, of course.)

Helpful == Helpful for both Developers AND end-users. (That's the end of
my reply; the following is all from Mark.)