Workflow Idea for 4.10

Ignat Semenov ragnarokk91 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 06:58:02 UTC 2012

Hello fellow KDE devs!

While I'm not an experienced developer nor manager, the planned transition
to gerrit really troubles me. In particular, I have the following questions:

1)The gerrit installation used in qt makes it impossible to add comments
other than directly to the diff. No way to add comments on the main review
request page as it is in the RB installation we're currently using. Is there
any way to overcome that limitation?

2)The user interface of gerrit is horrible to say the least. The diff /
comment area is the last class citizen there. RR is way more clear and user-
friendly (esp. newcomers).

3)Does this transition mean we will have to use the full gerrit contribution
cycle, like it is in qt now, with branches and the special tools, even for
the smallest fixes? This will drive off new contributors, I'm afraid.

4)The Qt gerrit installation requires authentication just to browse the
existing requests read-only. Is it possible to do it differently or is this
a shortcoming of gerrit ( or its "design feature")? Pretty user- and
newcomer-unfriendly, too.

Best regards,
Ignat Semenov