Workflow Idea for 4.10

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 07:57:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Ignat Semenov <ragnarokk91 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello fellow KDE devs!
>
> While I'm not an experienced developer nor manager, the planned transition
> to gerrit really troubles me. In particular, I have the following questions:
>
> 1)The gerrit installation used in qt makes it impossible to add comments
> other than directly to the diff. No way to add comments on the main review
> request page as it is in the RB installation we're currently using. Is there
> any way to overcome that limitation?
>
> 2)The user interface of gerrit is horrible to say the least. The diff /
> comment area is the last class citizen there. RR is way more clear and user-
> friendly (esp. newcomers).
>
> 3)Does this transition mean we will have to use the full gerrit contribution
> cycle, like it is in qt now, with branches and the special tools, even for
> the smallest fixes? This will drive off new contributors, I'm afraid.

Direct contributions by those people who have a KDE Developer account
will always be possible and will never be forced to go through Gerrit.

Whilst code review is a nice thing, it is completely unnecessary with
trivial changes or minor bugfixes. How it is used with larger changes
is up to the projects themselves - but use of it will never be
compulsory - direct access will always be available.