Windows previews in qml plasmoid?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jun 29 07:01:57 UTC 2012

On Friday 29 June 2012 02:01:38 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
> Στις 29/06/2012 01:16 πμ, ο/η Martin Grδίlin έγραψε:
> > On Friday 29 June 2012 01:00:06 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
> >> The use case exists. It's about the WorkFlow plasmoid in which I am
> >> facing this issue:
> >> http://opentoolsandspace.org/en/projects/development/plasmoid-workflow
> >
> > consider using a declarative KWin script. For example have a look at:
> > https://github.com/ghinda/arctos-dashboard
> >
> >> For a start, I would be happy if I could take some screenshots(QPixmaps)
> >> from
> >> the kwin effect whenever the QML UI needs them. Instead of live preview,
> >> tasks screenshots in every 500ms for example.
> >
> > This would be even worse than exposing the thumbnail from a KWin
> > perspective. Please do not even think about it :-)
> >
> > And please give a try to the declarative KWin scripts. We have there a
> > thumbnail item and this is properly integrated into the compositor.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
>
> Dear Martin,
>
> declarative kwin scripting is more challenging than plasmoids.
why? It's the same thing like a QML written Plasmoid
> I am
> almost sure that a hybrid
> situation is needed with C++ and QML for the spesific use case(either
> way the plasmoid
> supports all the needed functionality right now except the windows
> thumbnails).
it might be a solution for your use case but I'm completely against generic
export of thumbnails due to the performance impact.

> I dont know if this is possible with KWIn scripting, is it possible that
> maybe a KWin effect can do this?
> (backend in C++ and QML the ui?)
That's the idea behind declarative QML scripting: a very powerful user
interface to replace effects. With declarative KWin scripts you get the
complete power of KWin exposed + QML + anything you want to import from QML
(e.g. dataengines).
> (for example the plasmoid currently uses atoms from Xlib in order to move
> a task from activity to activity, I dont think scripting can do this
> right now)
Right now not, but if you mention that to me, I can add the bindings in less
than five minutes and with KWin scripting it does not need XAtoms.

Cheers
Martin