Windows previews in qml plasmoid?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 14:35:58 UTC 2012

Στις 29/06/2012 10:01 πμ, ο/η Martin Grδίlin έγραψε:
> On Friday 29 June 2012 02:01:38 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
>> Στις 29/06/2012 01:16 πμ, ΞΏ/Ξ· Martin Grδίlin Ξ­Ξ³ΟΞ±ΟˆΞ΅:
>>> consider using a declarative KWin script. For example have a look at:
>>> https://github.com/ghinda/arctos-dashboard

>>> This would be even worse than exposing the thumbnail from a KWin
>>> perspective. Please do not even think about it :-)
>>>
>>> And please give a try to the declarative KWin scripts. We have there a
>>> thumbnail item and this is properly integrated into the compositor.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Martin
>> Dear Martin,
>>
>> declarative kwin scripting is more challenging than plasmoids.
> why? It's the same thing like a QML written Plasmoid
>> I am
>> almost sure that a hybrid
>> situation is needed with C++ and QML for the spesific use case(either
>> way the plasmoid
>> supports all the needed functionality right now except the windows
>> thumbnails).
> it might be a solution for your use case but I'm completely against generic
> export of thumbnails due to the performance impact.
I dont know if I have describe correctly what I mean by a hybrid
situation of C++ and QML. I dont
describe a situation in which the C++ code is in kde generic libraries.
I am definitely not the person
to decide or propose what the kde generic libraries will provide.
Instead I am describing C++
code for that spesific effect. I will give an example. In my plasmoid
currently I use libtaskmanager
and libkactivities through its C++ part. I started by using in qml the
activities and tasks data engines
but because there were a lot of concerns in resposiveness I made that
change.
>> I dont know if this is possible with KWIn scripting, is it possible that
>> maybe a KWin effect can do this?
>> (backend in C++ and QML the ui?)
> That's the idea behind declarative QML scripting: a very powerful user
> interface to replace effects. With declarative KWin scripts you get the
> complete power of KWin exposed + QML + anything you want to import from QML
> (e.g. dataengines).
So what I am asking is if a kwin effect can have a c++ part and a qml
part. The c++ part is used only
for that spesific effect. An example I think could be the new tabbox
effect in kwin.  The tabbox effect
I think is a C++ wrapper in kwin for QML Layouts.

"I would love to have in my hands a Hello World effect for that situation,
for example a dashboard kwin effect that loads in the center a Hello qml
element."
>> (for example the plasmoid currently uses atoms from Xlib in order to move
>> a task from activity to activity, I dont think scripting can do this
>> right now)
> Right now not, but if you mention that to me, I can add the bindings in less
> than five minutes and with KWin scripting it does not need XAtoms.
About your proposal in implementing very fast all the needed bindings.
It is not just the atoms,
there are many workarounds in the plasmoid right now for example it can
load the wallpapers
even for stopped activities in order to use them in the WorkAreas
represantations.

> Cheers
> Martin

Ok so I am not arguing about the window previews because it is not the
most important part of
the Workflow project. The Workflow project has some goals and the main
one is to represent
Activities and VDs in a way that even the most novice user can use them
and play with them
with no fear. Because in my opinion the potential is very big and I have
implemented a lot of
code the past two months I can not change the focus completely right now.

What I am going to do is finish the plasmoid-workflow with no window
previews in its basic
implementation and create an experiment feature of window previews that
the user can
enable/disable easily (Being honest I dont even know if I can implement
such feature).

I 'd like to comment here that I use this plasmoid daily right now and
it has saved my life. I love
Activities and VDs in combination. Workflow for me was the missing part,
it combines almost everything
in a way that is fun to use.

After publishing the first version of the plasmoid (I believe end of
August is a very realistic deadline)
and taking feedback from developers and users, I will publish in a
couple of months the second
version of the plasmoid.

Until then I will know from the discussions if window previews is a
necessity for the users. If that's the
case I will try to implement the workflow plasmoid as a kwin effect. In
that way the WorkFlow project
will provide two elements, a plasmoid and a kwin effect. The first will
provide the WorkFlow functionality
even with out 3D effects, the second one will try to provide the full
potential around the WorkFlow project.

Sorry for the big message, I hope you read it until the end. :)

Cheers,
Michail