Plasma Containment default setting

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:03:44 UTC 2012

On Thursday 21 June 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 23:54:57 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > I imagine this could then be used in Dolphin's context menu 'Actions' and
> > possibly in Gwenview too.
>
> crazy idea: what about using SLC for this? Like -> Use as wallpaper
>
> (not share because you aren't sharing with anyone; not really connecting it
> to anything; and you use it as a wallpaper because you like it that much
> :)
>
> downside: it's not particularly discoverable because people are not used to
> SLC. i think once someone is used to SLC as a concept it will feel very
> natural .. but before then it will be a mystery.
>
> upside: we would not need to patch each application, and we wouldn't even
> need to expose a dbus interface (this screams Plasma::Service to me...)
>
> thoughts?

is something that could work if is publicised enough, because is not obvious,
but when learned makes sense.

in my mind this idea gone in those 6 steps:
1) wtf?
2)WTF?
3)oh..
4)...
5)oh.. cool
6)OMG, that's so cool O.o

can it repeat those steps trough users mind as well? don't know, but is worth
trying.

this gets back to a technical issue of slc..
do we want to massively introduce its ui before frameworks?

if so, perhaps the kparts patch in kdelibs really needs to go in the 4.8
branch?

Cheers,
Marco Martin