RFC: Activities vs Virtual Desktop document on the wiki

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun Jun 17 15:41:56 UTC 2012

On Sunday 17 June 2012 10:59:10 Ivan Cukic wrote:
> > In short: we identified activities as one of the core features of our
> > workspaces and VDs are close to fall off the tree.
>
> A brave decision. Brave indeed.

It's not really a decision per say, it's just a "finding" (I'm using ""
because of the non-scientific nature of it, and because some people could
argue they figured it out already, thought about it, whatever) that the trend
is already there.

It's pointed out in the summary you linked earlier:
 * Activities [...] very important
 * Virtual Desktops apparently on the way out

At the same time, later on in the pageyou find also:
 * Move forward to innovate, but keep around fallback mechanisms

So in conclusion it indicates that:
 a) we tend to innovate responsibly, not randomly breaking stuff for the sake
of it (which explains why there's this VDs movement of "fading away" but the
feature is not simply removed at the same time);
 b) that VDs are probably a feature we must be careful with when investing in
them as it could turn out to be counter productive or potentially lost effort.

I hope that clarifies.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net