No "remaining time" option in battery monitor?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 15 06:55:56 UTC 2012

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 20:08:10 Shaun Reich wrote:
> To me it looks less like a "discussion" and more like a "aaron got pissed
> because it didn't work for him, who himself is one person therefore nobody
> should have it".

this is not acceptable. i do not speak to/about you this way. i don't know at
what point it became the "cool kid thing" to start behaving this way towards
me. i've put up with it for a few weeks now and it is going to end, one way or
the other. let me state clearly what "one way" and "the other" is:

we can all get together as a community here and work together.

you brilliant folk can fork plasma and work on it somewhere else.

> If not all hardware supports it, tough shit we've been shipping compositing
> on so much hardware that couldn't support it even in a remote sense yet did
> it anyways.

... and we have a way of dealing with hardware that doesn't support it.
blacklists, functionality checks, fallbacks.

> And these days compositing works pretty darn well on even less
> mature Foss drivers. Do you see parallels here?

hardware that is broken on is one issue, but not the only one. i encourage you
to re-read the previous discussions.

> That said, every other OS under the sun manages to do ETA just fine, so
> what's the problem?

you have managed to re-state the arguments made 2-3 times before without
bringing anything new to it. in plasma we do not practice "keep making the
same argument over and over again until people give up and let the loudest
person have their way". we discuss, come to consensus and then respect that
result. if new information comes to play (new ideas, new data, new technology,
new people, whatever) then we can (and do) re-open discussion.

otherwise you end with "rule of the loudest" and over time get bogged down
with such unrewarding conversations that fill up the bandwidth and nothing gets
done.