No "remaining time" option in battery monitor?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jun 15 07:28:17 UTC 2012

Am 15.06.2012 08:55, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
>> If not all hardware supports it, tough shit we've been shipping
>> compositing
>> on so much hardware that couldn't support it even in a remote sense
>> yet did
>> it anyways.
>
> ... and we have a way of dealing with hardware that doesn't support
> it.
> blacklists, functionality checks, fallbacks.
Actually Shaun is right: we have removed all these things. If we would
just take OpenGL 1 on a current stack there are:
* no blacklists
* no functionality checks
* no fallbacks

All the whitelist/fallback handling is just to drop from OpenGL 2 to
OpenGL 1 and even that is likely to go away once the Catalyst driver is
fixed or for outdated drivers (e.g. Mesa < 7.10). Once llvmpipe is
working decent enought (given that GNOME Shell already works, it should
be very soon), we can even remove the last available fallbacks.

So yes we had that blacklist/whitelist/fallback stuff in place when the
drivers did not catch up but over the last two/three years we removed
most of it. In 4.9 we removed basically all the detection code we had,
because we realized that we nowhere check for the results.

Cheers
Martin