kde plasma workspace structure

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 22:11:48 UTC 2012

On Friday, June 8, 2012 22:54:03 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Where will dolphin be? An application with Blue dot?

i think so, yes.

to beh noest, i really struggled with where file management belonged in the
past. what it came down to was the it runs just fine outside of KDE's
workspaces (a lot of people use it this way in fact :) and ought to look like
the other applications rather than the desktop shell since it is not a system
service or shell component.

still .. it cries out for more harmonization and integration with the overall
system than most other applications.

one thing we have done for Active is define some application identity HIGs and
really worked to create a clear cross-application identity. it does make a big
difference, and i've read the same in some of your emails / irc discussions.

we have kde-baseapps, and i agree what you've said previously that wewould
benefit from having a defined set of "core applications" from the SC packages
that we pull into a similar sort of application design program and work on
consistency and beauty on them as being key applications for all our desktop
users. dolphin, gwenview, ...?

> Though these live out of kde-workspace, I guess that BlueDevil, KMix, etc
> goes within the Worksapce square, right?

yes, pretty much anything that is a "system service". i just didn't have
enough space in that square and figured i didn't need to make an exhaustive
list of everything, just give examples :)

networkmanagement is another one of these as well, of course.
i expect the telepathy components will also end up in that circle.

one interesting result of this is that it makes us consider how to make things
work in all / as many possible workspaces as possible. right now system
settings doesn't succeed in that. while it was kind-of-sort-of usable on a
tablet, we ended up having to do a simplified and more focused version using
QML. this is a huge burdon and will result in long-term inconsistencies,
however. it would be really nice if system settings could be designed to work
better across form factors.

otherwise, all the other bits are doing quite well already as we've designed
and/or improved the various components to meet these requirements.