kde plasma workspace structure

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sat Jun 9 00:22:43 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday, June 8, 2012 22:54:03 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> we have kde-baseapps, and i agree what you've said previously that wewould
> benefit from having a defined set of "core applications"

Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking with the idea of an
Operating System in mind rather than with the Workspace because; what
is a workspace anyway? Alone what does it solve? Makes any sense
create a Workspace?

The only answer I could think of was that the Workspace only solve a
particular problem natural to platforms such gnu/linux, open/freebsd
where historically by default you had a workspace designed for the
terminal so if you wanted something else you needed an addon that sits
on top of everything else.

Considering what I said above, we shouldn't think of what we do as a
Workspace but instead as a complete OS, since it is merely a
coincidence of how things are done in Unix that we are able to have
multiple workspace or multiple  pretty much anything (Debian offers
freebsd kernel...).

I'm only talking from a designing PoV not technical, I don't want to
stop abstracting things (just to make this point clear).

Why I say all this? because an OS without an application to access to
your data makes 0 sense (dolphin)
An operating system without applications to do the basic things our
target users will want to do with its data makes no sense (gwenview,
music player, video player, browser).
An operating system without hardware capabilities makes no sense
(kmix, power devil...)

This is something we have struggled with historically, kmix is not in
kde-workspace because at some point somebody considered that a
Workspace "can live" without a sound mixer. That someone was and is
right.

Well, just some rambling, I'm still WIP on all this hope you help me
to figure things out in 2 days, can't wait !