KDE architecture diagram

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 14:06:23 UTC 2012

2012/6/7 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
>> but it occurred to
>> me we have indeed a serious naming problem (which I believe was the
>> main source of misunderstanding over the last days) on all of this. In
>> my opinion the diagram makes more sense when s/Workspace/Desktop. I
>> see more the concept of "workspaces", aka desktop, mobile, tablet
>> etc...
>
> calling it "desktop" fails for various reasons (all of which have been
> discussed extensively elsewhere in past years):
>
> * we have the legacy of "desktop" both in "KDE" and "the KDE Desktop"
> * a t.v. recorder is not a desktop. we might be able to grin and say "that
> tablet is running a desktop system", but that is even a bit of a stretch.

Makes sense indeed, although my point was not really about the
"desktop" work but about the distinction - it was not a suggestion but
just a way in which the diagram would have made more sense to me.

> that said .. there are certainly bigger issues than this we have to in front
> of us to tackle to bring our efforts into sync.

Agreed, and indeed we should start working on this.

>> I guess a goal for the next sprint should indeed be starting from
>> something like this and drawing a scenario, also in a marketing
>> perspective.
>
> there will be enough on the agenda without adding marketing to it, and there
> are many people not there who ought to be if marketing was part of the mix.

I partly disagree here. In the first frameworks sprint we also created
a plan which was shared afterwards - I am not talking about making a
decision but proposing one. We all know by our experience that a
targeted group of people meeting in person can easily speed up the
job.

That said, I agree that there are more pressing and important items on
the agenda