KDE architecture diagram

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 7 18:52:23 UTC 2012

On Thursday, June 7, 2012 13:47:06 Dario Freddi wrote:
> Well it looks quite close to the status quo imho,

i think it reflects the understanding many have, yes.

> but it occurred to
> me we have indeed a serious naming problem (which I believe was the
> main source of misunderstanding over the last days) on all of this. In
> my opinion the diagram makes more sense when s/Workspace/Desktop. I
> see more the concept of "workspaces", aka desktop, mobile, tablet
> etc...

calling it "desktop" fails for various reasons (all of which have been
discussed extensively elsewhere in past years):

* we have the legacy of "desktop" both in "KDE" and "the KDE Desktop"
* a t.v. recorder is not a desktop. we might be able to grin and say "that
tablet is running a desktop system", but that is even a bit of a stretch.

that said .. there are certainly bigger issues than this we have to in front
of us to tackle to bring our efforts into sync.

> I guess a goal for the next sprint should indeed be starting from
> something like this and drawing a scenario, also in a marketing
> perspective.

there will be enough on the agenda without adding marketing to it, and there
are many people not there who ought to be if marketing was part of the mix.

-1