KDE architecture diagram

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 7 19:11:09 UTC 2012

On Thursday, June 7, 2012 09:31:08 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Spent some time yesterday evening on drawing a diagram of KDE architecture,
> as I proposed in an other thread. Please have a look and tell me what's
> wrong in it.

thanks for taking the time to do this.

it certainly helps me understand some of the confusion. the diagram is a set
of interlocking, overlapping boxes with no apparent structure. there's no
thematic nature in the boxes or their intersections. it looks confused and
muddled. it looks nothing like the thing i know, however :)

there's an artificial spliting between "kde workspace" and "plasma active" that
does not exist. those of us working on these things keep saying that but
nobody seems to either be listening to or believing us :)

in the diagram, plasma active contains an operating system and intersects
(some) applications. i'm happy on the one hand because that means that the
user message has come across clear -> it's an attempt to bring a coherent
approach to this area. and so the OS and the UX and the apps all need
harmonize with each other.

it also reflects the people structure in many ways. in fact, i'd say this is a
more accurate documentation of who has worked on what than what the technical
design is :)

these are all not bad things. but they are not overly useful when we are
trying to have technical discussions about the technical design of the
software.

i will try to come up with something that reflects my knowledge of the system
in time for the sprint. i can probably start with a diagram that sebas and i
did up a couple years ago ....