Windows previews in qml plasmoid?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 21:09:00 UTC 2012

Στις 01/07/2012 09:53 μμ, ο/η Martin Gräßlin έγραψε:
> Am 01.07.2012 18:56, schrieb Michail Vourlakos:
>> Στις 28/06/2012 10:52 πμ, ΞΏ/Ξ· Martin Grδίlin Ξ­Ξ³ΟΞ±ΟˆΞ΅:
>>> You can have that with declarative KWin scripts:
>>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/WindowSwitcher
>>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/Scripting
>>>
>>> But it's not possible to use inside a Plasmoid. With some hacks
>>> something
>>> could be implemented in Plasma, but I would highly recommend to not
>>> do it :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Martin

>> Ok, I would like to comment that I found a very easy way to do this.
>> There is a function:
>>
>> Plasma::WindowEffects::showWindowThumbnails
>>
>> in order to show previews of any windows you want in a window you want.
>> It works like a charm when the plasmoid is placed in the dashboard or
>> in the desktop.
> This is exactly the taskbar thumbnail effect where I asked you to not
> use it because it is not suited for anything except uasge in the
> taskbar thumbnails. If you use lxr.kde.org you will see that it is
> used in exactly two places: the tooltip content for the normal tasks
> applet and the one for icon tasks.
>
> Of course it is questionable that it is public API. But the knowledge
> that the effect is unsuited for anything else than taskbar thumbnails
> is rather new (we discovered with window strip in Plasma Active).
>
> Cheers
> Martin GrΓ€ΓŸlin

I have no doubt about all this. I suppose there is an in-developement
process about how to handle
this situation the development team. Maybe it will be a deprecated
function in the future.
Either way, by the discussion here I suppose that there are two trends.
One that the window
thumbnails should be available only in kwin and one that they should be
available also in plasmoids.
This is a question about how the tasks plasmoids will be implemented in
the future. I cannot
provide any opinion around this dilemma, the development team is going
to decide.
Until then I will wait for the official implementation of tasks
plasmoid. In a month I will upload
a video showing my current use case and from so far I havent noticed any
drawbacks with
Plasma::WindowEffects::showWindowThumbnails. I dont know what are the
issues but I havent
noticed any in my implementation so far...

Cheers,
Michail