Windows previews in qml plasmoid?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jul 1 18:53:42 UTC 2012

Am 01.07.2012 18:56, schrieb Michail Vourlakos:
> Στις 28/06/2012 10:52 πμ, ο/η Martin Grδίlin έγραψε:
>> On Thursday 28 June 2012 08:56:21 Michail V. wrote:
>>> Is there a way to have windows previews in a qml plasmoid?
>> You can have that with declarative KWin scripts:
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/WindowSwitcher
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/Scripting
>>
>> But it's not possible to use inside a Plasmoid. With some hacks
>> something
>> could be implemented in Plasma, but I would highly recommend to not
>> do it :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin
>>> For example is a tasks qml plasmoid possible?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Michail
>
> Ok, I would like to comment that I found a very easy way to do this.
> There is a function:
>
>     Plasma::WindowEffects::showWindowThumbnails
>
> in order to show previews of any windows you want in a window you
> want.
> It works like a charm when the plasmoid is placed in the dashboard or
> in the desktop.
This is exactly the taskbar thumbnail effect where I asked you to not
use it because it is not suited for anything except uasge in the taskbar
thumbnails. If you use lxr.kde.org you will see that it is used in
exactly two places: the tooltip content for the normal tasks applet and
the one for icon tasks.

Of course it is questionable that it is public API. But the knowledge
that the effect is unsuited for anything else than taskbar thumbnails is
rather new (we discovered with window strip in Plasma Active).

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin