Windows previews in qml plasmoid?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jul 2 07:44:41 UTC 2012

On Monday 02 July 2012 00:09:00 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
> In a month I will upload
> a video showing my current use case and from so far I havent noticed any
> drawbacks with
> Plasma::WindowEffects::showWindowThumbnails. I dont know what are the
> issues but I havent
> noticed any in my implementation so far...
I totally believe you that you have not noticed any issues so far. On your
hardware you might even never notice it.

If you want to see the issues, try the following: put your applet on the
desktop, put a few window on top of it, start a video player (and play a
video) and run it in not fullscreen and not overlapping the thumbnails in your
applet. Now enable the show paint effect (only if you do not suffer of epilepsy)
and watch what gets repainted. And please note that rendering the thumbnail is
very expensive because we do have a filter on it (if you have Intel graphics
you won't notice that because Intel graphics prior to Sandybridge was not able
to do this expensive filter).

Cheers
Martin