flowout proposal

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:12:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 16:18:06 Mark wrote:
> > I've had this idea for quite a few years and made a mockup for it in 2009
> > [1]. At that time it was even for an entirely new desktop environment
> based
> > on DirectFB [2], but that idea never came of the ground. Also, the
> > "flowout" that i wanted was at that time possible but just a bit to
> > difficult in C++ for no real gain (eye candy).
>
> unfortunately the file is no longer available on filefactory.com so i
> can't see
> the QML .. however, reading the thread and looking at the screen i can get
> an
> idea of what's up.
>
> so ... first step would be to make popups that come from the panel look
> like
> they are joined to it. i'd love to see that happen.
>
> essentially what would be needed is for the panel to simply not draw the
> edge
> border where there are associated popups. the popups already do not draw
> the
> corresponding border.
>
> while this would not give a perfect result (for reasons Martin noted) it
> would
> significantly improve the visuals and move plasma-desktop closer to what
> you
> have in your screenshot.
>
> if you wish to give it a go, the code in question is in kde-
> workspace/plasma/desktop/containments/panel/ ... it would need to track
> where
> popups for applets are and not draw the border there.
>
> I certainly do would like to give it a shot :)
Thank you for the pointer, i will take a look at it probably this weekend.
Re-uploaded the file here: http://www.filedropper.com/adaptivepanel

The "screenshot" btw is a mockup, i never had that working :p

Do you also happen to know how to prevent the background from scaling down?
You will see that when you run the example.
Asking that since scaling is kinda expensive and really not needed in this
case, however... it scales :p
What it should do is just shrink down and while animating shop the bottom
of.

Another possible issue i see is getting the shadow to play nice since that
also shouldn't be drawn where a panel flows out.