flowout proposal

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 11 12:14:47 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 16:18:06 Mark wrote:
> I've had this idea for quite a few years and made a mockup for it in 2009
> [1]. At that time it was even for an entirely new desktop environment based
> on DirectFB [2], but that idea never came of the ground. Also, the
> "flowout" that i wanted was at that time possible but just a bit to
> difficult in C++ for no real gain (eye candy).

unfortunately the file is no longer available on filefactory.com so i can't see
the QML .. however, reading the thread and looking at the screen i can get an
idea of what's up.

so ... first step would be to make popups that come from the panel look like
they are joined to it. i'd love to see that happen.

essentially what would be needed is for the panel to simply not draw the edge
border where there are associated popups. the popups already do not draw the
corresponding border.

while this would not give a perfect result (for reasons Martin noted) it would
significantly improve the visuals and move plasma-desktop closer to what you
have in your screenshot.

if you wish to give it a go, the code in question is in kde-
workspace/plasma/desktop/containments/panel/ ... it would need to track where
popups for applets are and not draw the border there.

humru othro a kohnu se