activity aware plasmoids

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:07:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday 25 February 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> > hi all...
>> >
>> > i woke up this morning from a dream in which all the facebook updates,
>> > tweets and emails from people associated with an activity where showing
>> > up
>> > in a live stream on screen. it wasn't really the point of the dream (ok,
>> > dreams don't have "points" in general) but it was a very fun detail of
>> > it.
>> > it felt so natural.
>>
>> well, at least you didn't dream of the internal implementation of a data
>> model
>> :p
>>
>> > the stream had a toggle in it to show "all" or filter on the current
>> > activity.
>> <annoying details minutiae>so not when on desktop i guess ;)</annoying
>> details
>> minutiae>
>>
>> so, basically one plasmoid, n dataengines that get combined somwhow.
>>
>> if the re is any taker, it would be interesting because it would probably
>> require new ways to fetch/manage the data, a good extension to the concept
>> of
>> dataengine that would make things a bit more rigorous.
>>
>> --
>> Marco Martin
>

> Let me do a little brainstorming :)
>
> 1. a dataengine per social media thing (facebook, twitter, flickr, google+,
> deviantart.. name_your_social_blabla perhaps IRC as well?)
> 2. a social_profile (or "aseigo_dream" ^_-) dataengine that has a bunch of
> set profiles. for example:
>  --- Development Profile (fetches data from google+, twitter, irc, ....)
>  --- Artistic Profile (fetches data from flickr, deviantart, ....)
>  The "social_profile" dataengine internally fetches the data from the social
> media networks in the profiles and makes all data available to use in a
> plasmoid or something.
> 3. plasmoid only uses the "social_profile" dataengine
> 4. When user is in "Development" activity he sees all data from the
> Development profile (google+, twitter, irc, ....)
>
> While writing this brainstom down i keep thinking that this is something
> that nepomuk should do.. collecting the data and run a specific query on it
> based on the profile (development, artistic, news etc.) or am i wrong there?
>
> Just my 5 cents.
>
> @Aaron, can't you go to sleep again and dream the code? ^_-
>
> Regards,
> Mark

I think most of the pieces for this are already here, or are planned:

1. telepathy-based and/or akonadi-based social messaging system that
allows you to register, retrieve, and submit messages from social
networking sites using plug-ins.
2. nepomuk-based unified contacts, so everyone account on each akonadi
and telepathy plug-infor a given person is linked using nepomuk.
3. link nepomuk contacts to activities
4. a plasma dataengine to retrieve messages from a given nepomuk contact
5. a plasmoid to display all messages from a particular set of nepomuk contacts

This wouldn't have to just include social networking messages, either,
it could include emails, chats, events, anything tied to a particular
nepomuk contact.

-Todd