activity aware plasmoids

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:01:15 UTC 2012

On Saturday 25 February 2012, Mark wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 February 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > hi all...
> > >
> > > i woke up this morning from a dream in which all the facebook updates,
> > > tweets and emails from people associated with an activity where showing
> >
> > up
> >
> > > in a live stream on screen. it wasn't really the point of the dream
> > > (ok, dreams don't have "points" in general) but it was a very fun
> > > detail of
> >
> > it.
> >
> > > it felt so natural.
> >
> > well, at least you didn't dream of the internal implementation of a data
> > model
> >
> > :p
> > :
> > > the stream had a toggle in it to show "all" or filter on the current
> > > activity.
> >
> > <annoying details minutiae>so not when on desktop i guess ;)</annoying
> > details
> > minutiae>
> >
> > so, basically one plasmoid, n dataengines that get combined somwhow.
> >
> > if the re is any taker, it would be interesting because it would probably
> > require new ways to fetch/manage the data, a good extension to the
> > concept of
> > dataengine that would make things a bit more rigorous.
> >
> > --
> > Marco Martin
>
> Let me do a little brainstorming :)
>
> 1. a dataengine per social media thing (facebook, twitter, flickr, google+,
> deviantart.. name_your_social_blabla perhaps IRC as well?)

yeah it can be (still brainstorming mode on):
* different dataengines (so, recycling what we got already, problem: each
dataengine formats the data mostly randomly)
* a model that fetches from plging of a new kind (a bit of reinventing wheel)
* a model that bridgets n dataengines: could require changing a bit the format
of the data returned by dataengines, could end up rather pretty in the end

> 2. a social_profile (or "aseigo_dream" ^_-) dataengine that has a bunch of
> set profiles. for example:
>  --- Development Profile (fetches data from google+, twitter, irc, ....)
>  --- Artistic Profile (fetches data from flickr, deviantart, ....)

yeah, basically the activities, here is just the description of an m:n
association ;)

>  The "social_profile" dataengine internally fetches the data from the
> social media networks in the profiles and makes all data available to use
> in a plasmoid or something.
> 3. plasmoid only uses the "social_profile" dataengine
> 4. When user is in "Development" activity he sees all data from the
> Development profile (google+, twitter, irc, ....)
>
> While writing this brainstom down i keep thinking that this is something
> that nepomuk should do.. collecting the data and run a specific query on it

+1...
not storing the entries of the various social media i think, since is too
volatile data that loses meaning pretty quickly, but having the "twitter
source" facebook source and so on as resources, that gets associated to the
activitiy resources (funny fact, association of any nepomuk resource to an
activity is something already supported, is just the desktop that lacks an ui
for it.. yet ;)

--
Marco Martin