Folderview selection marker, revisited

Ignat Semenov ragnarokk91 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 06:19:05 UTC 2012

Hello fello plasma devs!

Some fo you may remember the "disable selection marker on d-click kde
setting" feature I did in January. Back then, we settled on "don't add
options just because we can". But recently, there has appeared one more
comment on the bug, describing a separate problem which I ironically
experienced yesterday as well. The problem is as follows:

when the icon size is set to 16 or 22, it is impossible to hit the icon.
With 16, it is absolutely inmpossible - you can test it yourself. At least
with the Oxygen plasma theme (3px margins), though I'm not sure if it
depends on the margins at all - need to check the code. So, the commenter
asks for an option to disable the marker for this exact reason. At the smae
time, he does not want to switch to d-click for solving this problem, and I
understand him - it is at best a workaround.

So what do you think we can do here? One option is to disable the marker
altogether if the icon size vs marker size hits some limit, or the frame
size vs marker size. Another one is to make the marker smaller based on a
similar condition. The third one is, of coure, the option to manually
disable the marker - but that would void my work on the automatic detection.

Opinions? This may look like a minor issue not worth sucha long email and
such a long discussion, but these minor nitpicks, or lack thereof, do sum up
to crate a positive user experience.

Best regards
Ignat Semenov