Recently Used engine?

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Feb 20 17:12:09 UTC 2012

Misunderstood what you wanted. So recent apps...

The problem with the idea of using a global thing like
kactivitymanager/zeitgeist to get the list of applications is that
you'll also get the applications that were started outside of your
launcher.

Imagine following: You keep konsole and konqueror on your panel, to be
able to access them as fast as you can. And you use them extensively.
(the same goes for - they start automatically on session start or they
start on some special key press) Those applications will appear in
your menu.

Are they needed in there? No. You've never launched them from that
menu, and they will take a significant space from the rest of
applications that should be in there.

With that said, if you still want to proceed the same way:

You can query the list of apps in different ways.
- nepomuk - you can query the ResourceScoreCache object and askt for
the latest created ones - and get the application from it.
- zeitgeist - use the library
- kactivitymanager dbus - you can query the highest rated applications
to show them. Maybe I could be persuaded that the recent ones could be
beneficial as well.

Which is the best way?

- nepomuk - works if nepomuk is running, and applications support
kactivitymanagerd*1
- zeitgeist - works if zeitgeist is running, and applications support
zeitgeist*2
- kamd - apps support kactivitymanagerd*1

*1 - unfortunately, kdelibs are frozen, so to get a proper support
(outside of plasma active which ships patched kdelibs) we'll have to
wait for KF5. Applications that support kamd are rare.
*2 - Zeitgeist are supported by gnome apps. No KDE application does support it.
*1 and *2 - The support for zeitgeist is possible through kamd, and
vice-versa - if the plugin Trever wrote compiles/works and is
installed on the user's system. In that case - the same data should be
available in both zeitgeist and nepomuk. This one I have no clue
about.

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard