constraints and size hints

Ignat Semenov ragnarokk91 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 16:28:31 UTC 2012

Hello fellow plasma devs!

Is there any docs on constraints and size hints? The documentation for the
constraintsEvent method is empty (!!) and its relation to sizeHint is
absolutely unclear. I've spent a day fighting kickoff trying to make it
resize properly when in panel, whereas simple kickoff worjs just fine with
the same code. Yesterday I spent half a day fighting those constraints and
sizeHints in folderview, which does custom handling of the dropped on panel
event - it can not use PopupApplet because of the Plasma class design... Now
the constraints and sizeHints code which woks just fine in Trash and
Folderview does not work in kickoff (which ihnerits popup applet) - and I'm
afraid that if I go forward and try to fix all those "proper sizing when in
the panel" bugs, I will lose a week just because I'll have to debug every
case for 12 hours. I find this to be extremely unproductive.

Sorry if I sound negative, but this is not what a dev should spend their
time on. Doing a simple thing requires a lot of trial and error, and working
without a clear understanding of the overall picture shoud be impossible for
any good programmer - this is not how things should be done.

Waiting for two people (mostly one) to come up on IRC to finish your code is
not normal ither.

Thus, I encourage those in the know to document this area with examples and
a real explanation, as seen in the Qt docs. Thank you a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Ignat Semenov