constraints and size hints

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 13 21:20:58 UTC 2012

On Sunday, February 12, 2012 20:28:31 Ignat Semenov wrote:
> Is there any docs on constraints and size hints? The documentation for the
> constraintsEvent method is empty (!!)

err.... in the header:

        /**
         * Called when any of the geometry constraints have been updated.
         *
         * This is always called prior to painting and should be used as an
         * opportunity to layout the widget, calculate sizings, etc.
         *
         * Do not call update() from this method; an update() will be
triggered
         * at the appropriate time for the applet.
         *
         * @param constraints the type of constraints that were updated
         * @property constraint
         */

so .. it is documented. but it is pretty incomplete .. it's actually
documenting what it was doing sometime around 4.2 and nothing since.

what you probably want to look at is the docs for Plasma::Constraints to see
what possible values are. they are documented there.

> Sorry if I sound negative,

if you were sorry you would have written it differently.

> Waiting for two people (mostly one) to come up on IRC to finish your code is
> not normal ither.

that's why we have a mailing list.

> Thus, I encourage those in the know to document this area with examples and
> a real explanation, as seen in the Qt docs. Thank you a lot in advance.

did it really require the whole lecture?

you forgot to actually say *what* the problem your running into is, just that
you're running into some sizing issue on panels. spend less time letting off
steam and more time communicating and we'll get further.

--
Aaron J. Seigo, still working at 10:15 pm