Mono icons in systray

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:29:19 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 11 December 2012, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:

> Yes, I understand the issue with random backgrounds, but I am referring to
> the non-composited case, where no transparency is taken into account. At
> least this case, and the composited case with the default wallpaper should
> be nicely contrasted.

probably black icons could be re-tried, not sure anyways i can make the non
composited background darker again

> > > - hinting: fonts provide hinting informations for pixel-snapping
> > > on-screen rendering at small sizes (which are typically the ones used
> > > in systray). This does not make the icon pixel perfect, but possibly
> > > quite close to it. Manually hinting a font is quite painful, but after
> > > all we do not have too many icons to take care of…
> >
> > again do you know any font designer willing to do them?
> > and what is the adgantage work wise in relation to svg's? you can do the
> > same in svg's creting multiple svg's for multiple rendering sizes....
>
> btw, why are we not using pngs in desktoptheme icons?

* makes them come from the plasma theme, shouldn't have anything to do with
the used icon theme
* being scaled are not right, but yet are not the utter catastrophe scaled png
icons are

> > > - subpixel antialiasing:  subpixel antialiasing (for those who like it)
> > > would possibly make curves smoother
> >
> > so mono But with color pixels on the side right....
>
> It's a matter of taste; besides, if you see color fringing you should
> consider tweaking your subpixel filter (check out infinality)

maybe, but i hate this subpixel antialiasing is one of the things i hate more
then pretty much anything, is a BIG no go for me

--
Marco Martin