Mono icons in systray

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:00:46 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 11 December 2012 12:13:11 you wrote:
> A Terça, 11 de Dezembro de 2012 10:06:36 você escreveu:
> > Dear all,
> >
> >   I noticed how the new air theme (which is just beautiful, btw) makes the
> >
> > mono icons in systray quite low-constrast; this is especially apparent
> > with
> > compositing turned off.
>
> they seam about the same here ...

I am not sure, it looks like the panel is lighter than it used to be

> agrea to some extent that we should get rid of the iner gradient in the
> icons. the border i sthere for contrast issue againts random
> backgrounds....Note fonts suck in that way and we have to make the (imo)
> overdone blured background.

Yes, I understand the issue with random backgrounds, but I am referring to the
non-composited case, where no transparency is taken into account. At least
this case, and the composited case with the default wallpaper should be nicely
contrasted.

> > - hinting: fonts provide hinting informations for pixel-snapping on-screen
> > rendering at small sizes (which are typically the ones used in systray).
> > This does not make the icon pixel perfect, but possibly quite close to it.
> > Manually hinting a font is quite painful, but after all we do not have too
> > many icons to take care of…
>
> again do you know any font designer willing to do them?
> and what is the adgantage work wise in relation to svg's? you can do the
> same in svg's creting multiple svg's for multiple rendering sizes....

btw, why are we not using pngs in desktoptheme icons?

> > - subpixel antialiasing:  subpixel antialiasing (for those who like it)
> > would possibly make curves smoother
>
> so mono But with color pixels on the side right....

It's a matter of taste; besides, if you see color fringing you should consider
tweaking your subpixel filter (check out infinality)

> > - coloring: icons can be colored in such a way to optimize contrast, this
> > makes borders around shapes not necessary and help saving precious pixels
>
> but ofcourse the problem is that we dont have controll over the background
> color since that is tranparent....

That is why we should provide a way to set coloring of icons; after all if one
chooses the same color for background and foreground, then his desktop is
broken, but it is a user fault; otoh if the user cannot choose the foreground
color… then it is not that clear.

> Since it would just duplicate work, with no visible gain imo (with QT5
> around the corner coloring an element in scenegraph is rader trivial,
> shaders for the win)...

That's excellent news!

> On the making the try icons mono yeah expect that soon...
\me drools