[RFC] New (QML) Desktop Containment

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Dec 10 21:51:02 UTC 2012

On Monday 10 December 2012 22:10:52 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> > The changes look excellent!
> >
> > I'm wondering a few things:
> > -Should we remove the interface to lock/unlock the desktop and delegate
> > this
> > to the kiosk mode?
>
> is among the features that shouldn't have got in in the first place, but i
> don't think is safely removable without revolts, as usual, there must be
> continuity
Maybe we can try and see what feedback we get?

The noisy people saying that "Things appear on mouseover" will be picky enough
to put a config somewhere, we have to keep the functionality for kiosk mode
anyway.

> > -What was the design decision/idea/thing behind cashew? It seems to me
> > like a
> > way of showing some actions that otherwise will be hidden (in the context
> >
> >  menu), is that it?
>
> (cough, toolbox, cough) one tof the reasons is that the context menu can be
> removed by the user at any time, or repurposed to show something completely
> different
And of course given the windowed system we have, we need to "show desktop" to
give the focus to the desktop.

What are the other reasons for it? Not that it bothers me too much but people
seem not to use it.

Maybe we can get some feedback from the forums ?