move plasma tools to plasmate

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Aug 25 16:19:37 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 19:42:16 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> I have changed my mind on this topic with the following conclusion (hope it
> is  useful for future actions).

I think it is =)

> The main reason why I don't like this movement is because it adds an extra
> dependency for the random KDE hacker that wants to do something. This
> hacker  will compile everything so he will have to know that the tools are
> in plasmate repo and compile them.

We can document that. :) Having these tools in the workspace repo is just
adding stuff for all users that less than 1% of those users will actually use.
They are there mostly for historic reasons anyway, but as those tools grow, it
becomes more striking that they're in the wrong place.

> Since we are adding "yet another" repo, our tools will be segregated across
> more repositories, making worse the already not ideal situation.

The idea is to consolidate all those development tools into one repo, not the
opposite. :)

For those building from Git, we can then add that repo to those built by
default to kdesrc-build.

> So, in the ideal world what I'd like to see is someone taking the lead and
> creating a serious project for our sdk, developer stories, dependencies,
> techbase etc etc.

That's actually what we're doing here. Plasmate is one piece of the puzzle,
consolidating the tools into one repository is another one, the persona's
we've worked on in Pineda is yet another piece of this puzzle, and the Mer-
based SDK for Lwing is yet another one.

I don't think, btw, that shipping development tools with our workspace package
is necessary, or smart. These tools are only useful for a relatively small
group, namely developers. Plasmate, to me, is that SDK (but I'm fine with any
other repo as well).

> Said that, I would prefer to move the tools to kdesdk since we already have
> that repository, but if it really helps you to move them to plasmate then
> go ahead, make things little worse won't be a deal breaker in this case.

BTW, wasn't the kdesdk SVN module split up? I'd personally rather not have to
build 10 repos to get all my development tools together.
--
sebas