move plasma tools to plasmate

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Aug 27 08:17:21 UTC 2012

On Saturday 25 August 2012 18:19:37 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 19:42:16 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > I have changed my mind on this topic with the following conclusion (hope
> > it
> > is  useful for future actions).
>
> I think it is =)
>
> > The main reason why I don't like this movement is because it adds an extra
> > dependency for the random KDE hacker that wants to do something. This
> > hacker  will compile everything so he will have to know that the tools are
> > in plasmate repo and compile them.
>
> We can document that. :) Having these tools in the workspace repo is just
> adding stuff for all users that less than 1% of those users will actually
> use. They are there mostly for historic reasons anyway, but as those tools
> grow, it becomes more striking that they're in the wrong place.
In this, we fully agree.
> > Since we are adding "yet another" repo, our tools will be segregated
> > across
> > more repositories, making worse the already not ideal situation.
>
> The idea is to consolidate all those development tools into one repo, not
> the opposite. :)
>
> For those building from Git, we can then add that repo to those built by
> default to kdesrc-build.
My idea of consolidating is sending an email to plasma-devel/kde-
devel/whatever to ask about opinions, see what we've got so far (kdesdk) and
try to make use of it in an unified way.

Moving the tools to plasmate repo is a decision taken by (I don't know) in (I
don't know where) and that's why it struck me at the first place. No doubt
this was discussed but again it seems to me that we have failed again in the
communication field.
> > So, in the ideal world what I'd like to see is someone taking the lead and
> > creating a serious project for our sdk, developer stories, dependencies,
> > techbase etc etc.
>
> That's actually what we're doing here. Plasmate is one piece of the puzzle,
> consolidating the tools into one repository is another one, the persona's
> we've worked on in Pineda is yet another piece of this puzzle, and the Mer-
> based SDK for Lwing is yet another one.
It seems that there are 2 current streams on this, the one plasma-devel is
working on, including active and such and the one that the rest of the
community has in mind, discussed a lot in Platform11
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Developer_Story (ofc plasmate is
part of it, but it is not it).
> I don't think, btw, that shipping development tools with our workspace
> package is necessary, or smart. These tools are only useful for a
> relatively small group, namely developers. Plasmate, to me, is that SDK
> (but I'm fine with any other repo as well).
Plasmate only allows to create plasmoids javascript based afaik and it is
desgined to do only that (which is cool). Imho it is waaaay far from being an
sdk.

Also, Plasmate (again afaik) is not done using kdevplatform, I have been told
since day 1 that it will be at some point but apparently it is not. I don't
know if kdevplatform is the solution but what I know is that we need to share
stuff.
> > Said that, I would prefer to move the tools to kdesdk since we already
> > have
> > that repository, but if it really helps you to move them to plasmate then
> > go ahead, make things little worse won't be a deal breaker in this case.
>
> BTW, wasn't the kdesdk SVN module split up? I'd personally rather not have
> to build 10 repos to get all my development tools together.
Afaik it is still in SVN (http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdesdk/
)

Aaaah so much work to do and so little time :p I whish I could be one month
working only on SDK, refactoring techbase etc :/

Cheerz.