Back to basics

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 17 22:16:40 UTC 2012

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 21:47:12 Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> one thing lead to another and I acoured to me that the timing is perfect for
> a release were we focus on the basic desktop, and we market it just like
> that a "back to basics" release for the big 4.10, so we would do a few
> litle thing that improve the basic desktop experience the things people use
> 90% of the time, and we market that, we market that we still care about
> mouse and keyboard interaction and what works.

first, purpose drives technology. thinking first about what would be clever
marketing and try to form fit the technolgy to it is a losing concept. either
that or the justin bieber desktop would be the best thing ever.

just look at the thread on kde-promo ... the relevant phrase is "tail wagging
dog".

if you ever feel it is important to CC a marketing list when thinking about
discussing technology, delete the email (or whatever) immediately, think it
through a bit more and send it to the relevant tech list instead with actual
content.

so ...

there are no "basics".

never have been.

never will be.

i respect and admire the desire to make things better. that's always a good
thing. but what thing(s) should be better?

you mention at some point the mouse/keyboard driven concept (because we've
obviously lef that behind or something apparently) and that is perhaps a good
start. so WHAT aspect of mouse/keyboard interaction could be improved?